Roomypants

Main base camping

Hi, I'm a cucklord who plays on the server regularly as many of you may know. I would like to start a new discourse about the practice and idea of Main Base Camping. What are your thoughts on it? Should it be regulated by server staff? Unfortunately on maps with 30mm equipped vehicles , I commonly see graveyards made up of dead vehicles in-front of main bases. I also commonly see new to SL players being confused by the event of camping and becoming "stuck" in-front of their main base, hopelessly fending off the off-cap attackers. Granted I can be seen camping main bases at times, I believe that it is in the better interests of the server and server's game play quality that we talk about as a community, how we want to handle the topic of main base camping and find a solution that benefits the server and the people who play on it. 

BLAH BLAH BLAH VIC CAMPING.jpg

We do not have any rules restricting game play and I don't believe we should. Rules like the one you are proposing are extremely hard to enforce consistently, and require game admins to make tough decisions in a relative grey area. Your provided example on Narve goes to show poor map design. A 30mm can do that to US main 400m out on that road by Bravo on AAS v1. There is no way we should be making a rule that 30mm cannot operate in that area. 

• Like 2

Simply do it like this, if you are past the final cap point closest to your enemies main base you are wrong. If you are being engaged by a BTR 400m away shooting at  your main base, well tough shit have a friendly squad send their LAT to take it out. 

Last night was a prime example as to why we should be regulating this though, Foe. The enemy team camped main base (not from 400m away, but directly outside) with two, not one, two BTRs. That is overkill and is something that we can regulate.

Like small infantry fire teams of 3 soldiers would be hard to regulate I get that, but at least prevent main base camping from vehicles. Keep the vehicles away from main base. 

Edited by NoStoppinCosby

TBH if you have lost all if your caps or failed to cap a single point your team is destined to loose the round anyways.  It is not very likley that you will come back.  Also, if your teams only spawn is your main base your team has obvously made some other critical and fundimental mistakes.

We do not have rules that prevent "camping".

First.  These tatics and play styles are hard to enforce, and require admins to move into a grey area with their decision making (never a good idea).

Second.  Road blocking, bridge blocking, focusing bases, IEDs in high traffic areas, moving assets upfield quickly (rushing) are all examples of valid tatics (both in game and real life). 

If people have a sour taste in their mough after getting stomped into their main maybe they should think about what they and their teams could have done differently ... that or check out Desmos Playground.

On another note making the main bases capable and removing spawn protection once all points have been capped would be a brutal way allow for an instant win.

• Like 3

If I may point out, I do see people on the server complaining that the admins aren't doing their job by keeping game play from being extremely 1 sided. Usually the server is empty by about 1pm est because there have been steamrolls that went un-managed and people quit. Back when I first started playing on the server admins would regulate game play if the situation called for it, now the server is left to rot whenever a team gets steamrolled. I don't suppose these rules will stay the same once we get IFV's, ATGMs, and MBTs... that would be unfortunate at best...

1 hour ago, Roomypants said:

If I may point out, I do see people on the server complaining that the admins aren't doing their job by keeping game play from being extremely 1 sided. Usually the server is empty by about 1pm est because there have been steamrolls that went un-managed and people quit. Back when I first started playing on the server admins would regulate game play if the situation called for it, now the server is left to rot whenever a team gets steamrolled. I don't suppose these rules will stay the same once we get IFV's, ATGMs, and MBTs... that would be unfortunate at best...

There it is again boys! The troll! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roomypants said:

Could you give a rough estimate of when Admins would “regulate game play”?

Like the others said if a team lost they should try different tactics the next time and learn from their losses.

Edited by thomastheviking

If what you were alluding to was when 2.FJg members would switch to the team that was getting steam rolled to help lessen the pain of the steam rolling. It was never a requirement or policy it was just what the group on at the time did. 

*They would switch to the team getting steam rolled after that round had ended.*

Edited by thomastheviking

I'll tell you this: there is no intention of enforcing base camping in a different manor. It's been spoken about at length. The cons far outweigh the benefits as explained above.

I understand the concern, but 2.FJg has long been a clan who has moderated gameplay very lightly. Until it becomes a significant problem, it's better to let rounds play out.

• Like 1

Okay, so besides having all the cap points under enemy control why should the enemy team be allowed to sit outside the main base with Vehicles? That’s the point I was trying to make, if you’re all the way capped to the last objective then yeah it’s a skill/tactics problem that has been apparent the whole match but not being able to leave main base to get to the middle objective that is still being contested by both teams with a Stryker or Logistical truck because the enemy team is camping it with two BTRs seems ridiculous. Just my opinion though, after all I’m just a recruit. :) 

*and by camping I mean literally sitting right outside of it, not from 400 meters away* 

*edit no. 2 - I understand where the counter arguments are coming from however, i am simply playing the devils advocate.* 

Edited by NoStoppinCosby
  • Like 1

We used to switch teams quite often.  All tbe 2.FJG members would switch after a couple of steam rolls and regular / quality pubs would come with us.  A good idea would be to switch sides and take guys like roomy and lincler with you (could akways force switch him anyways if he says no :D).

Two things here.  I feel like the squad community has become a lot more whiney.  Nobody used to complain about anything.  As a whole the community seems to want things to be 50/50.  Also on some other servers there are rules about rushing, camping habs, soawns etc .... I can see how newer pkayers or newsr games might think that these are gane rules when they are not.

Second as a clan / admin team.  We can do a better job here.  Yes winnig is fun and if you switch you might loose.  The idea is to switch and start a couple of squads.  Let others join them.  First it helps balance out gameplay because you left the winning team amd there are always scrubs who will swith to "the winning team" it actually balances things out very quickly but you need to kead a couple squads when you switch.  Having bith our servers in the top 5 rated servers and having huge ammounts of up time was not uncommon.  I believe it was because we attempted to stop things from getting too one sided (as in a bad rolling 2 or more times in a row) and did not restrict game play.  Aka "play how you want, try to keep it fair."

• Like 1

I'd like to take a initiative to start balancing out one-sided games of steamroll, by switching teams, but it's a team effort it that is to be a possibility. It might help the server uptime aswell to have a more balanced game all the way through.

You have to balance the pros with the cons. On one hand, you have the Russian team wasting time and resources attempting to blockade the US main while the fighting is going on elsewhere. Play any urban map, LATs dominate the vehicle game. There is no reason why you couldn't win without getting a stryker/mrap. On the other hand, you have no logistics. The real issue is (when you have a no camping rule) there is a enormous gray area in admin-ing that rule. Map size, how close the first cap is to the main, types of vehicles, how large the spawn force field is, would make that rule be up for interpretation for each admin. We cant have a guideline because every map/faction is different. We would have to create a guideline for each map/side, which would be frustrating for the average player. No one wants to go to a server to relax and have fun just to have to memorize the rules for each map and layer in fear of being kicked. People would just choose another server to have fun on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoStoppinCosby said:

Okay, so besides having all the cap points under enemy control why should the enemy team be allowed to sit outside the main base with Vehicles? That’s the point I was trying to make, if you’re all the way capped to the last objective then yeah it’s a skill/tactics problem that has been apparent the whole match but not being able to leave main base to get to the middle objective that is still being contested by both teams with a Stryker or Logistical truck because the enemy team is camping it with two BTRs seems ridiculous. Just my opinion though, after all I’m just a recruit. :) 

*and by camping I mean literally sitting right outside of it, not from 400 meters away* 

If a vehicle is camping right outside of main, it should be really easy for LAT's or a vehicle with infinite ammo and main base protection to destroy it or get it to retreat. 

Once uppon a time you could fire out of, but not into the main base protection areas.  This made base camping, not impossible, but very difficult.  Players obvously took advantage if this and would park rocket tekies and the such in the main right at the ammo supply.  Infinafe indestructible rockets for days!  This prompted OWI to change base protection so that you coult not fire into or out of the protected zone.  You can still take advantage of this.  Pull an asset just outside of your protected zone and fire some shots at the enimy.  You can even start to pre fire as you get towards the edge of the zone to help ensure as many hits as possible on the camping enimy.  If you take damage pull back into the protected zone and repair.  Repeat untill you destroy or displace the campers.  If you can pull all the way out of main and need to travel dome distance towards the enimy then i guess you are not really being main camped that bad.

3 hours ago, FOEHAMMER said:

If a vehicle is camping right outside of main, it should be really easy for LAT's or a vehicle with infinite ammo and main base protection to destroy it or get it to retreat. 

Main base protection doesn't exist anymore as far as i know. And yes, it should be, however main bases are generally small and a lot of the time they're either walled off to prevent being killed inside your main base or they on have one or two ways out. (I can't think of a map where a main base has more than two ways for vics to exit main.) The sighting system on a lot of the vehicles that players would use to camp a main base could easily see whatever LAT or vehicle is trying to come at them and be able to react accordingly before the LAT or vehicle could attempt to fight off the camper. 

2 hours ago, Aelfathi said:

If you can pull all the way out of main and need to travel dome distance towards the enimy then i guess you are not really being main camped that bad.

Once again, that's not the point i am making. Traveling some distance and then getting lit up, that's not camping. The thing is a lot of the time you're not traveling some distance, you hop in your vic, turn the engine on, press W and exit main and get destroyed. For example, one version of Narva, you pull out either on the East Exit or the West Exit and that's it. Not to mention a lot of the U.S Spawns require you to navigate around cement blocks due to OWI trying to replicate ECPS, so by the time you pull out of the ECP and start getting lit up you either have to be really good at reversing without knowing what's behind you or perform a full u-turn and in that case a 30mm BTR would have shredded you up before you could have made a complete left hand turn. 

I understand where the gray area is coming into play when regulating this, but i'm simply suggesting if you are literally sitting right outside the opposing teams main base with a vehicle (Like literally right outside) then that should be something that should be regulated. Unfortunately this shouldn't even be something that should be discussed, it should be a well known gentlemen's rule that you don't camp the enemy base. It takes away from the fun of the game and regardless of how you want to argue it it is a toxic tactic. I know for sure that i have not seen any [2.FJg] members camp main bases with Vehicles, why is that? because we play the game the way it is meant to be played.

Edited by NoStoppinCosby