Sign in to follow this  
gamingace

Proper way to correct dog' behavior

I'm having a tough time correcting the barking and chewing behaviour of my dog. My Labrador is now 5-years old and I must admit that such attitude is hard to correct. I am planning to use a shock collar which I found online but I am afraid that it might create a negative impact on my dog. I want to know your opinion about this type of product, and if there’s any other way to solve my dilemma.

Shock collar sounds so barbaric.  I like the term E-collar.  I have a Pro Educator, all their models are good but this is the one I got because it has multiple tones and vibration settings before you even have to get to the shock part (other models have these as well within their line up, so just do some research on which is for you.)  High quality, water proof, long range, reliable.  http://tinyurl.com/y8ba295z

I have a border collie and he is VERY well behaved.. however, when something distracts him and he's off leash it's impossible to get his attention and will chase an animal.  I use this as a tool to get his attention, more so than a training tool.  This one makes different tones so I can ramp up the volume until I have his attention.  If I don't get his attention from that, I can vibrate the collar like your phone on vibrate.  Still nothing?  It has 100 different shock levels.  So I can slowly ramp up the shock until he stops.  I have never used the shock part other than training him.  The second tone is the furthest I've had to go!

I will say this though, you MUST get a professional to help train YOU how to use the collar then help train the dog about what it is and show the dog that it isn't harmful but an annoyance (I'm talking suuuuuuuuuuuper low shock setting.  You never want to ramp up to the highest setting on your dog. EVER).  So many people use shock collars wrong and abuse them (even if it isn't their intent) that it definitely isn't for everyone.  It can really negatively impact your dogs health by raising his/her stress levels.. even if the collar isn't on.  So get a trainer who knows this method is the last resort and treats it as such to reduce any stress for the dog.  

That being said, see what the dog trainer and you can do before you even need to buy one.  Studies have shown that it really does impact a dogs stress levels if not done right, and even done right it can potentially increase the stress anyway (this can have negative impact on the health and you training him, I must reiterate that.)  

One method, if you catch him/her in the act, is to walk away and go into another room.  Then call him/her into that room excitedly and give em a treat.  Labs are super excitable, as you're aware lol, so that could work.  Not sure about your dog, but border collies are super smart and easily trainable ONLY with positive reinforcement.  When he was younger and did something wrong, I would punish him for it; however, punishing him ended up making him do what ever it was even more.  So I had to draw his attention away from it entirely then give him a treat.   Takes a while though, but time and effort is worth it for you and the pup.   

Here's my goober, 2 years old.

goober.jpg

Edited by PlaceboJeffect-Sldt
  • Like 1

Here is the same model that isn't the "Pro".  Only difference is the pro has a ramp mode that you can set up on your computer then hold and it will slowly go through the settings you set up.  I have it set up like I mentioned above with the tones, then vibration, then slowly ramps up the "shock".  You can do that on your own without the ramp button and save 50 bucks.  They also have slightly cheaper ones that pretty much do the same thing but have shorter range like 1/8 mile and quarter mile range.  I think they were called the 400 series.

But you don't want to cheap out and get a knock off product.  Educator e-collars are made in America too so you pay for quality and the fact that labor is more expensive.. But I liked that fact.  There are other products made in Europe just as good for a bit cheaper.  Do not cheap out for Taiwanese and Chinese knock offs though as they can be sporadic and burn your dog.

https://www.amazon.com/Educator-Easy-Vibration-Pavlovian-Stimulation/dp/B01MG7WTY4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1500342205&sr=1-2&keywords=Educator+Pro

Hope this helps!

Edited by PlaceboJeffect-Sldt
  • Like 1

Thank you Sir, for the insightful comment. I will definitely keep this in mind, and will also check the link that you have provided. May you have a good day.

• Like 1